This Roasted Butternut Squash Soup is simple, delicious & sure to satisfy you on a cold winter day. Perfect paired with a salad or sandwich!
I don’t know if it’s because it’s winter or I’m just lazy, but I’m on a soup kick. I love throwing a bunch of things in a pot, letting it cook, blending it and then having 8-10 servings of soup to eat. This Butternut Squash Soup is easy to make, full of delicious roasted veggies and perfect for a cold winter day. If you’re curious about the benefits of orange vegetables, I summed it up in this recipe. Additionally, if you’re finding yourself bored of eating veggies, my friend and mentor Andrea D’Ambrosio, of Dietetic Directions, has a great blog post about how to roast veggies.
Tips for Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
The most challenging part of this recipe is dealing with the butternut squash. I’m not going to lie, I hate this part, but it’s totally worth it. If you’re curious about the easiest way to cut and prep squash, click here. If you can do this, you can do just about anything. I recommend dealing with that first, chopping up the carrots, seasoning them and then popping them in the oven. They will take the longest amount of time to roast. Meanwhile, you can prepare the peppers, onion and garlic. Throw those in the same bowl that you seasoned and tossed the squash and carrots and voilà! You’re ready to pop those in the oven.
Once the veggies are done, add them to a pot with some vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Turn down to low and let simmer for 5-10 minutes, with a lid on, or else you’ll lose all your liquid and end up with really thick soup (thanks mom, I definitely should have known this). Let the soup cool, and then throw in your immersion blender and blend until smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender (I highly recommend getting one), you can also put the soup into a blender or food processor. If you find this soup is too thick, add a little bit of extra vegetable broth or water to thin it out. Add a little bit of cream, salt and pepper to taste and top with fresh basil. Enjoy!
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Immersion Blender
- 1 butternut squash
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 red, orange or yellow bell pepper
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup cooking cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Peel and chop squash and carrots into even-sized chunks.
- Add to a bowl with olive oil, rosemary, oregano, basil, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat evenly.
- Spread on baking sheets, leaving some space on one sheet for other vegetables.
- Place sheets in oven for 15 minutes and set the bowl aside (we'll need it later)
- Chop pepper into 1/8ths , quarter the onion and peel the garlic.
- Toss back in the bowl in the remaining oil and seasoning.
- After squash and carrots have been in oven for 15 minutes, add the remaining vegetable and roast for another 20-25 minutes.
- Once veggies are done, add to a large pot with 4 cups of vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes and purée with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Add cream and stir to incorporate.
- Season with additional salt and pepper.